2000 - Present: Eurostep Limited.
My time is currently split 40/60 between business development and performing as senior consultant and project manager. I deliver internet based services, and e-business solutions and strategies to end-users. Many are based around the need for systems’ integration, and I consequently use many business analysis techniques such as activity, process and data modelling. Clients are large blue-chip companies that demand the strictest standards of project management and delivery.
The work involves working throughout the lifecycle of the project; liaising with potential clients to secure contracts, production of deliverables, resource and risk management and presentation of deliverables at meetings, seminars and conferences. My business development duties involve contacting potential clients, writing proposals as well as farming existing clients for follow-on work and further projects.
1994 - 2000: Technical Planning and Development Department, Lloyd’s Register.
Manager of a software development and research group. This was a high profile position, managing a group that develops software products for internal and external clients. In addition it lead international research projects in the field of internet based information engineering, and data integration and exchange. The co-operative nature of the projects involved a great deal of international travel, securing contracts and managing the work programmes.
The work required strong technical knowledge with the ability to manage all business and resource aspects of operations and projects dealing with the entire lifecycle of the product. Due to the strategic nature of much of the work, strong communication skills with all levels within the organisation were essential.
- Production of business cases, budgets, work-programmes and strategy documents for business planning within the company and for submission to external organisations for funding consideration;
- Line management of project managers, software developers, analysts and administrators;
- Technical management of commercial software development projects and international R&D projects developing distributed and standalone data exchange and management systems using technologies such as the internet, Visual C++, XML, Java, CORBA, COM and various database technologies;
- Liaison with clients, external partners and governmental organisations during contract negotiation, project operation and product lifecycle support;
- Promotion of commercial products and dissemination of research results at client sites, conferences and exhibitions.
- Secured external contracts worth over 8.5 million Euros;
- Consistently produced contract deliverables on schedule and to budget;
- Improved the efficiency of product development and delivery by reorganising technical services and personnel;
- Chairman of the Marine e-Business Standards Association, June – December 1998;
- Successfully transferred research results into commercial products;
- Regularly published in journals and conference proceedings (see attached).